The School Board endorses the family and community engagement goals of the Every Student Succeeds Act and encourages regular collaboration between family members, community members, and school leadership.
Pursuant to federal law, the District shall develop jointly with, agree on with, and distribute to, families of participating children a written family engagement policy.
The goals of this policy are to:
- Establish expectations and objectives for meaningful family involvement.
- Increase family engagement, as well as family involvement in school activities.
The District will hold at least one annual meeting that is available to all families of students attending Title I schools and/or for families that include a student who receives Title I services (Targeted Schools). The annual meeting will provide family members opportunities to participate in the design, development, operation, and evaluation of the program for the next school year. The annual meeting will also provide family members an opportunity to evaluate the content and effectiveness of the family engagement policy in improving the academic quality of the schools served. This evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by families in activities, particularly families who are economically disadvantaged, have disabilities, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background. The district will use the findings from the annual evaluation to design strategies for more effective family involvement, and to revise, if necessary, the family engagement policy.
Additional meetings may be held to:
- Provide the coordination, technical assistance, and other support necessary to assist participating schools in planning and implementing effective family and community engagement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance.
- Coordinate and integrate Title I family engagement strategies, to the extent feasible and appropriate, with other relevant educational programs.
- Identify and address the needs of families as they work to support the learning of their children, including engaging with school personnel and teachers.
- Develop strategies to support successful school and family interactions.
20 U.S.C. §6318, Title I – Parental Involvement
Category: Priority/Required by Law for all Title I Districts
1st Read: May 16, 2017
2nd Read: June 6, 2017
Adopted: June 6, 2017