ConVal School Board
A Shared Commitment to Educational Opportunity and Excellence
Role of the School Board:
The Board sets the guidelines, regulations and standards of instruction, partnering with the district’s educational leaders through planning and assessment, with consulting professionals outside our district, and with others who may be affected by its actions. The Board oversees and approves the expenditure of all funds, which are appropriated in the school district’s annual budget and provide for administrative and teaching staff, teaching materials, facilities, and resources for all district educational and athletic programs.
Serving on a local school board requires energy, commitment, patience, and a willingness to work as part of a team. Most of the Board’s work is made up of the things that make ConVal’s schools work so well: reviewing curriculum, providing up-to-date technology, crafting professional development programs to keep teachers learning. It’s challenging, time-consuming work-but the rewards are real: students who set and achieve challenging personal goals; teachers who inspire as well as instruct; parents and residents who share a commitment to educational opportunity and excellence.
Each year the Board and the administration meet to establish, review and then set yearly goals.
2015-2016 School Board Goals
- Require the development and full implementation of a District wide system of performance management and merit based compensation that
- incentivizes good performance and
- encourages employee development
- fosters continuous improvement across all functions and levels
- Implement the Strategic Plan according to the plan’s schedule and complete a guide that presents a universal process for developing and coordinating District plans
- Implement rigorous and relevant Applied Technology Center programs that provide a clear pathway to high value credentials and employment opportunities.
- Pass a budget with unanimous support among the Board that addresses the greatest academic and institutional needs.
- Negotiate a fair and equitable multi year agreement with the ConVal Education Association that will be approved by the voters.